Originally named Tessville after Johann Tess, the village became Lincolnwood in 1936. Today it spans over 2.69 square miles and is anchored by strong residential, commercial and manufacturing properties. Lincolnwood is served by School District 74, which has three facilities for preschoolers, elementary, and junior high students. High School students can attend school at Niles West High School in District 219, in neighboring Skokie. The Lincolnwood Parks and Recreation Department manages 13 parks, an aquatics center, two bike paths and a community center.