When Arthur T. McIntosh, a developer from Kenilworth, first visted the Inverness area in 1920, he was reminded of Scotland and thus named the village after the capital of the Scottish Highlands, Inverness. McIntosh and his associate, Way Thompson, worked together to develop the area while maintaining a New England-like setting, as the area was occupied 6 square miles of wooded, rolling hills. In order to preserve the natural landscape, they put in place strict standards for construction. Inverness incorporated in 1962 and annexed some surrounded areas to avoid any encroaching development. Today, Inverness is an indepedent community, but is closely linked with adjoining towns. The Metra commuter rail service has stops in neighboring Barrington and Palatine. Students attend schools in Palatine, and the police force is shared with Barrington.
Chat software by BoldChat