Located in Cook County about 10 miles West of Chicago's Loop, Elmwood Park was once an open prairie. Farmers came to the area in the 1840s. Railroad tracks were laid in the township in 1870 and speculators began purchasing many of the smaller farms in the area and subdividing the land for residential developement. Elmwood Park was incorporated as a village in 1914. Merritt Marwood, who descended from one of the first farm families, served as the first mayor of the village. The greatest population growth in Elmwood Park occured between 1920 and 1928. This was due to the construction of new churches, a village hall, and a school. Population rose again after World War II, and the village built a high school and a new reservoir to accomodate. As of the 2010 census, the population of Elmwood Park was 24,883.
Chat software by BoldChat