The first settler of Deer Park, George Ela, settled into the area in 1835. Ela claimed 281 acres of land that later became Deer Grove Forest Preserve. The community was quiet and rural, after an attempt to lay rail tracks was denied by then landowners, Ezekiel Cady and Barney Elfrink. The quiet nature of the town attracted gentlemen farmers to the area. The town was a sleep community intil the 1970s when larger homes began being constructed. The population quickly began to grow, but residents fought to maintain the country atmosphere of the town, protesting numerous projects that the village thought would be good for taxes. Today, Deer Park is well known as the home of popular shopping center, Deer Park Town Center and the Town Center Promenade. It is also home to Vehe Farm, an Illinois Centennial Farm. The area is served by the Metra/Chicago & Northwestern train line.