Bloomingdale, Illinois, located about 25 miles west of Chicago's Loop, was one of the earliest villages settled upon in DuPage county. The Meacham family was the first group of settlers, and had originally named it Meacham's Grove. The village was originally in Cook County, but was annexed by DuPage County in 1839. The village split off in 1923 to accomodate those wishing Bloomingdale remain a farming community. The southern part was split off and incorporated as Roselle, Illinois. Bloomingdale is known for its three major shopping centers, Old Town Square, Stratford Square, and Old Town shopping center, which is the site of the original, historic town. The population in the 2010 census was 22,018.